At Marvell, we strive to make positive contributions in the communities where we work and live, and to provide opportunities for our employees to get involved with the organizations we support. Our global corporate philanthropy is focused on educational and humanitarian endeavors, that combat hunger, poverty and homelessness; provide educational opportunities in science, technology, engineering and math for kindergarten through the 12th grade students; and supporting community projects or initiatives to enrich the lives of our neighbors. Our employees have a long history of demonstrating generosity, whether through collecting food and supplies during our annual food drives and holiday giving programs, or by donating their time volunteering or sharing their expertise.
Some of the organizations we support include:
Second Harvest Food Bank
In Northern California, Marvell proudly sponsors the Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties’ annual holiday campaign. In addition, Marvell holds an annual food drive at its Santa Clara campus, and offers employees several ways to participate, including:
- Buy Lunch and Share: The Marvell Cafeteria prepares a delicious holiday lunch, with half of the purchase price donated directly to Second Harvest.
- Payroll deducted cash contributions
- Holiday Drive Raffle
Second Harvest hosts groups of employees for team building activities at the Second Harvest volunteer center year-round. Dozens of our employees have spent the afternoon at the group's food distribution center sorting and packaging food for individuals at risk for hunger.
Silicon Valley Leadership Group, Annual Turkey Trot
Marvell sponsorship of the annual Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot in San Jose, California includes sponsoring the “Fittest Firm” competition, the race registration fees for Marvell employees and their guest, and a booth at the finish line, with healthy snacks and a fun souvenir photo booth. Marvell employees secured the Fittest Firm victory for the third consecutive year in 2018! More importantly, the proceeds from the Silicon Valley Turkey Trot benefit local charitable organizations including Healthier Kids Foundation Santa Clara County, Housing Trust Silicon Valley, Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties, Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Cruz County and The Health Trust.
Children's Hospital of Orange County Holiday Toy Drive
In December 2018, Marvell Irvine employees collected toys of all types and $150 in cash for Amazon Gift Cards for the Children's Hospital of Orange County Holiday Toy Drive. The toys bring joy to the children and the parents, who are often not able to shop for gifts themselves, and the gift card donations allow hospital staff to purchase appropriate items for the diverse patient population when needed.
Challenged Athletes Foundation
Marvell is proud to work with the Challenged Athletes Foundation (CAF), an organization dedicated to providing opportunities and support to people with physical challenges. Marvell also sponsors of the CAF Northern California Celebration of Heart, a gala held at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art which supports the CAF by providing volunteer opportunities for employees and raising awareness. CAF athletes participate in the annual Marvell 5K fun run too!
The Tech Museum of Innovation
Marvell is a proud supporter of the Tech Museum of Innovation in San Jose, California, and is a sponsor of the annual Tech Challenge and the Girls @ The Tech. We hold a lunch and learn with the Tech Challenge staff at our Santa Clara campus, to talk about the Tech Challenge and the various ways employees can get involved.
Notre Dame San Jose Women of Impact Luncheon
Marvell supports the annual Notre Dame San Jose’s Women of Impact luncheon, which spotlights the role women have played in history, recognizes and celebrates those making significant contributions to society today and showcases the regional and global impact of developing meaningful and integrated learning programs for young women. Funds raised directly impact opportunities for young women to benefit from leadership programs in science, technology, engineering, the arts, and math (STEAM) at Notre Dame High School. Several Marvell employees are invited to attend the luncheon, along with CEO Matt Murphy, CFO Jean Hu, CAO Mitch Gaynor, and members of our board, to gain inspiration and motivation, and to bring back ideas to Marvell. Notre Dame also offers a variety of ways for people to get involved to continue to provide these critical opportunities for young women in Silicon Valley.
American Heart Association
Marvell supports the American Heart Association, a non-profit organization in the United States that funds cardiovascular medical research, educates consumers on healthy living and fosters appropriate cardiac care to reduce disability and deaths caused by cardiovascular disease and stroke. Marvell is a legacy sponsor of the American Heart Association’s Silicon Valley Heart Ball, and in 2018, CEO Matt Murphy served as its chair. Marvell proudly hosted the Silicon Valley Heart Ball at our Santa Clara campus in June 2018.
Magical Bridge Foundation
In 2018, Marvell participated in a fund-raising event for the Magical Bridge Playground in Mountain View, California. The Magical Bridge Foundation builds innovative and inclusive playgrounds where everyone is welcome, including those living with a disability. The Magical Bridge Foundation also works with local tweens and teens in its Kindness Ambassador Program, which is designed for energetic and passionate teen volunteers dedicated to fostering a community of inclusion while spreading messages of kindness and compassion in all Magical Bridge events and activities.
Dress for Success
In 2018, Marvell held its inaugural clothing drive for Dress for Success, a venerable international not-for-profit organization providing a network of support, professional attire and development tools to help women entering or re-enter the workforce. Dress for Success has locations in 152 offices in 29 countries around the world. Spearheaded by the Women at Marvell, employees donated bags and bags of gently worn professional clothing, shoes and accessories.
Bike to Work Day
Marvell is an annual participant in the Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition’s Bike to Work Day. Not only do many of our employees cycle to work, Marvell hosts an “Energizer Station”, a stopping point to encourage cyclists en route to work. Our station provides the very popular breakfast burrito, small gifts, coffee and tea, and a stretching and foam rolling station. Our station is located just off our Santa Clara campus on a popular bicycling trail.
Initiatives at Marvell India
In 2018 and 2019, Marvell made generous contributions to the India Prime Minister's National Relief Fund (PMNRF). The PMNRF is primarily used to provide relief to families of those affected by natural calamities like floods, cyclones and earthquakes etc., medical assistance to victims of major accidents and riots; victims of acid attacks; and financial assistance to indigent patients for treatment of major diseases like heart surgery, kidney transplantation and cancer treatment.
Initiatives at Marvell Israel
- Promotion of Science and Technology Education Excellence: Marvell Israel is engaged in several programs that motivate junior and senior high school students to invest in math and technology studies and become the next generation of engineers. This is done through lectures, on-site tours, hosting and fostering students and teaching basics computer skills and programming tools. In addition, we host and mentor high school hackathon events – a program dedicated to promoting projects that improve the well-being of the physically challenged community.
- Equal opportunities: Our employees take part in joint activities designed to empower and strengthen self-confidence. For example, the Embedded Processor Platform team spent the afternoon with teens at a hostel, where together they “made over” the yard. Our Switch IP team adopted a foster home where young children live. Together they are having fun through empowering activities.
- Good Deeds Day: Marvell Israel traditionally takes part in the global ’Good Deeds Day’, a day that unites people from around the world to do good deeds for the benefit of others and the planet. At the last event we collected and distributed agricultural produce for those in need.
- Supporting those with disabilities: Empowerment and social integration of people with disabilities through outdoor sports. Marvell Israel supports two teams that promote the empowerment and social integration of disable athletes -- a running team of adults with visual disabilities and a biking team of children on the autistic spectrum. In addition, we take part in annual fundraising for the Etgarim Association: Israel Association for the Disabled.
- Global Semiconductor Association (GSA): A platform designed to accelerate the growth and increase the return on invested capital of the global semiconductor industry by fostering a more effective fabless ecosystem through collaboration, integration and innovation.
- Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA): Premier trade association representing the U.S. semiconductor industry helping to shape public policy on issues critical to the industry, including protecting the environment.
- Silicon Valley Leadership Group (SLVG): Organization involving principal officers and senior managers of member companies in a cooperative effort with local, regional, state, and federal government officials to address major public policy issues affecting the economic health and quality of life in Silicon Valley.
- CompTIA: Leading voice for the U.S. technology industry and the driving force behind productivity growth and jobs creation in the U.S. and the foundation of the global innovation economy.